Friday, August 29, 2014

The week so far, the stigma attached to men going to weight loss groups and goals for September

Back from London after a few days catching up with family and mates and even got to see the greatest football team on earth and the Pride of North London qualify again for the world's premier club competition, foodwise its going ok, not missing meat at all so far but this can easily change, getting in plenty of fish which I like anyway and even making vegetarian versions of my favourite dishes, my protein coming from fish, nuts and whey protein and i'll be sticking with this. The weekend will be as normal as possible and come into weigh in with a much needed loss to give my morale a boost.

Being addicted to food and being a yoyo dieter all my adult life I've been going to weight watchers a few times and most recently the past 3 years slimming world most of the classes I was the only man in group and the reason why? A lot of men sees weight loss groups as women only and I don't agree at all, I joined a weight watchers group in Dublin in 2009 and this leader had a men only class as he recognised that some men felt uncomfortable sharing their stories with women, at the end of the day overweight men need help too and in recent time Slimming World has invested a lot of time encouraging overweight men to lose weight on their plan and it's working but I still hear and see every day the stigma attached to men going to weight loss groups, I was slagged off last year behind my back with an idiot saying 'I'm sick of Mick's weight loss stories and that only women and queers go to s.w and if he was a real man he'd be having a few pints with the lads and banging hookers afterwards' and that fuelled me to ram those childish thoughts down their narrow minded throats the best way possible and it was to carry on doing what has won my life back. My consultant's brother who is also a s.w consultant has quite a lot of guys going to him and the same with my one, I'm even hearing stories especially through my followers on instagram that they met their boyfriend in slimming world so 'only women and queers go to s.w?' Those pricks are not even worth the steam of my piss and FUCK THEM, I like hearing stories of men who actually find love in weight loss groups, it helps them and inspire others also. So any man who needs to lose weight, it's socially acceptable to get help through these classes it's the 21st century after all and obesity levels in the UK and Ireland are at an all time high.

I'll end this as August is coming to a close and when I set my goals I didn't put pressure on myself on the scales and I still lost 3.5lb this month and i'm good with that and will continue with that attitude in September and stick with the pescatarian diet and not even a juicy medium rare steak will tempt me

Have an A1 weekend everyone

1 comment: